Geog 301: Introduction to GIS and Maps
FOH - get some now
Taking notes 1, 2, 3, 4
Science for GIS Users basic knowledge all GIS users should have..
Rough lecture outlines
- Week 1 (21 September): no class monday.
- Week 2 (26/28 Sept).
- Week 3: (3/5 Oct).
- Week 4 (10/12 Oct):
- Week 5 (17/19 Oct).
- 19 Oct - midterm exam! Fair game on the exam. Anything labby up to this point EXCEPT the ArcGIS (online and Pro). All lectures PRIOR to this week. And Chapter 7 from How to Lie.
- 20 October. Last day to withdraw from class with a 50% refund
- Week 6 (24/26 Oct)
- Book report due on sunday, 23 October
- Week 7 31/2 Oct/Nov).
- Week 8 (7/9 Nov).
- 7 Nov, last day for uncontested withdraw.
- Week 9 (14/16 Nov)
- No class on monday, but consider lab 13 to be assigned!
- Week 10 (21 Nov). No class on wednesday, Thanksgiving!
- Week 11 (28/30 Nov):
- Week 12: Final Exam Wednesday, 7 December 8:00 - 10:00.
Required readings Due every Friday, starting on Week 2!
Book report - How to Lie wth Maps. Due Sunday, 23 October.
Labs: (note - Unless otherwise stated, all labs are due as follows: Monday labs are due Friday by 5:00; wednesday labs are due the next Monday by 5:00. Hand in at the mailboxy thing outside my office door). Be sure all labs/readings are stapled together (but not labs to readings, or multiple labs together, etc). And make sure your full name (and everything else) is legible. Seriously, never annoy the person who is about to grade your work right before they do so.
- Lab 1: Topo maps 1 (3 pts)
- Lab 2: Topo maps 2 (3 pts).
- Lab 3: Topo maps 3 (3 points)
- Lab 4: Intro to Google Earth. AFTER you have answered all the questions, delete everything except the actual questions and your answers. Make sure your answers are typed and clearly distinct from the lab (different font, bold, color, yada, yada). Make it easy on your poor, old, blind professor - but not annoying. 3 points.
- Lab 5: More bearing/distance stuff within GE. And isolines(1). And isolines(2)! 3 points.
- lab 6: Gregory's Journal. 4 points.
- Sample map questions and answers. Stuff to help you study for the topo map part of the exam..
- Lab 7: ArcGIS online, an intro. 2 points.
- Lab 8. A very basic intro to ArcGIS Pro. 2 points.
- Lab 9: Tissot's indicatrix - a review of projections. (3 points)
- Lab 10: Campus map (3 points).
- Lab 11: Labeling (3 points)
- Lab 12: classification. 3 points.
- Lab 12b: Classification 2. 3 points.
- Lab 13. Exploring Yellowstone! 3 points.
- Lab 14: Plants lab 4 points. 3 points. Due the monday after thanksgiving break.
- Lab 15: Cartographic criticism. 3 points. Due on the friday before finals week.
Tutorial Datasets will be located on the GIS Lab Server - Download them
as needed to your flash drive. NEVER work on them from the server. And always, always have backups.
Some cool links:
Website design and maintenance by
Dr. Robert Hickey