Rough lecture outlines
- Week 1:
- 29 March
- Went over syllabus and projects. Introduced CS for GIS. (be sure you're familiar with this)
- Y'all need to know about significant figures. Watch this (all 5 parts). Seriously, your labs, etc will be graded assuming you know about significant figures.
- lecture on Projections
- 31 March : Data quality lecture (no ppt, sorry). Taken from GIS core curriculum.. D'oh - made a ppt during covid
- Week 2:
- Week 3:
- 12 April. Modeling
- 14 April . Amanda Moody presenting
- Week 4:
- 19 April. MCA
- 21 April. Dale Purcell presenting!
- Week 5:
- 26 April: jobs
- 28 April : Time to work on labs, assignments, etc.
- Week 6:
- 3 May : GPS
- 5 May: Qatar video
- Week 7
- 10 May: Ben Sainsbury presenting
- 12 May: Richard Diaz presenting
- Week 8:
- Week 9
- 24 May. Advanced Cartography. Let's head into the lab and do this more or less at the same time. Goto https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxleHCzc6YynGbzJMWx6C7w/videos and pick three topics (which must be about cartography). Browse around a bit, there's some cool stuff there - and topics that should interest anyone. All are presentations given at NACIS 2021[the 2020 stuff is fair game, too] (North American Cartographic Info Society - https://nacis.org/ ). Take a few notes about them - sort of what was good/interesting/crummy/etc. Maybe a half page per talk. Turn those in to me by the end of the class period - just to verify that you did it.
- 26 May. Jamie Cannon presenting.
- Week 10:
- 31 May: Sterling talking about enterprise GIS.
- 2 June: Poster presentations/competition.
- Week 11
- Thursday, 9 June. 10-12AM. This will be VERY comprehensive.
Required readings (also known as "in the news") (due fridays)
- Lab 1: (lab O'Evil) Due the next monday. 4 points.
- Lab 2: DEM (4 pts)
- Lab 3: data management - trails (4 pts)
- Lab 4: Well moratoriums (4 pts)
- Lab 5: Site selection. With weights (4 pts)
- Lab 6: GPS accuracy. (4 pts)
The Big Research Project
Your Resume and StoryMap Portfolio
Return to Dr. Hickey's Home Page.